Yesterday’s game was an odd affair. Phil Hughes continued his recent struggles. Mariano Rivera gave up a run for the first time since May. Marcus Thames collected his 2nd walk-off hit of the year. But for me the highlight of the game was Brett Gardner‘s inside the park home run. The Yankees were trailing 5-3 until the hit tied the score at 5, and the play was so clearly an error that I’m still a bit perplexed at the ruling.
Hughes allowed 5 runs and 3 homers in 6 innings of work. He started the game looking sharp, but the wheels came off in the middle innings. He left the game with the Blue Jays ahead.
In the bottom of the 6th inning Blue Jays’ Center Fielder Dewayne Wise misplayed what looked to be a routine fly ball off the bat of Brett Gardner. Wise lost the ball in the sun, dropping it after it glanced off his glove. That was all the speedy Gardner would need. Once the ball was dropped Brett turned on the jets and scored. Jorge Posada (who is day-to-day after spraining a finger) was on 2nd at the time, so the hit drove in 2 runs. Mark Teixeira would give the Yankees the lead in the next inning, on one of his 3 hits on the day.
Mariano Rivera was not sharp in the 9th. He allowed the Jays to tie the score on 3 hits. It is an understatement to say Mo has been lights out this year. The blown save was upsetting, but these things do happen, rarely. David Robertson worked into and out of trouble in the 10th, and then Thames won the game on a bloop single. The best part? The Red Sox lost at home to the Orioles, giving the Yankees a 1.5 game lead on the division.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees