Okay so a lot happened over the last weekend in Yankee baseball and I didn’t really comment on much of it at the time, so here we go…
1. The Cliff Lee Saga
This trade was something I did not want to happen. I didn’t want it to happen not because I’m anti-getting-Cliff-Lee; I’m anti-getting-Cliff-Lee-in-a-trade. The Yankees, despite the trade of Lee to the Rangers, are still likely the favorite to sign Lee as a free agent in the offseason. I didn’t want the Yankees to pay for him twice in prospects now and then in money later.
Obviously, if the trade went down I would’ve been annoyed, but not unhappy. If the Yankees had been able to add one of the best pitchers in baseball, it would not have been a bad thing. A poster on RAB, I believe the one with the handle “ZZ” said after the trade fell through that either way, Yankee fans could be happy: either the Yankees would’ve added a great pitcher or they would’ve held onto their best prospect. Sounds like a good deal to me.
2. The weekend series versus the M’s
Aside from the Joba incident–I’ll discuss him later–this was an awesome series for the Yankees. They hit well, aside from Saturday’s game, and the starters were just great. Can we PLEASE get Javy some run support? Anyway, the Yankees win seven of their last eight and head into the ASB with the best record AND run differential in baseball. That’s always good stuff. The fact that they seemingly haven’t clicked on all cylinders yet (I’m looking at you, Bullpen) should scare the rest of the league. If the Yankees go on their typical second half run, they could match last season’s win total.
3. The Joba
Well, he’s not pitching very well of late is he? Like everyone’s said, his peripherals look great but he’s just not doing well. What, then, is the solution? The way I see it, there are a few options:
A) You let him keep pitching: After all, how’s he going to get better if he doesn’t pitch? But, the way he’s been going, this may not work all that well.
B) Relegate him to a lesser role: Well, then he’ll pitch even less and probably get even rustier than he currently is.
C) Send him to the minors: This is, IMO, the best option. While the results will likely be staggering in Joba’s favor, that’s not what it’s about. This move would be about Joba fixing his mechanics in a stress free environment. Regardless, a lack of development has finally caught up to Joba and something needs to be done about it.
4. The passing of Bob Sheppard.
What a downer, huh? I’m relatively young (23) as Yankee fans go, but his voice will always be meaningful to me. The thing I miss most about YSII is Sheppard’s calming and eloquent voice. His class was simply unmatched. Losing him and Ernie Harwell in the same year is nothing short of a baseball tragedy. Rest in peace, Bob; thanks for the memories of your melodious voice.
So, yeah, there was a lot happening this past weekend. It’ll be nice to have a few days off from it all so we can catch our collective baseball breath. !Felicitaciones Espana! Good luck to Nick Swisher in tonight’s Home Run Derby!
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
- Multitech-Info.Com.pl on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- adult toys for women glass on Ladies and Gents, we now have a formula for winning in October
- monster beats tour on Midseason Prospect Rankings
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees