In an other wise relatively harmless article that was in yesterday’s Daily News, Mike Lupica said something that really got under my skin:
Cano covers No. 3 and No. 4 in the order, he covers no-show Nick Johnson and Curtis Granderson and Brian Cashman letting Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui just walk out the door.
I’m not mad about the Cano praise, but I’m peeved by the comments on Granderson and Cashman. Why is Lupica blaming Granderson for getting hurt? It’s also worth noting that Granderson has been hitting well of late. Including last night, he’s batting .324/.390/.595 with four doubles and two homers–one a grand slam–since returning from his groin injury. I’m not sure what Lupica’s watching, but that comment seems totally unfounded.
As for the shot at Cashman? That’s completely unnecessary. The Yankees made offers to both Hideki Matsui and Johnny Damon and they definitely made every effort to retain Johnny Damon, even offering him a two year contract when no one else was doing so.
How are the two of them performing? Matsui started hot, hit a skid, and is now back up to respectability with a .344 wOBA. Damon has cooled off as well, but is at a .354 wOBA, which is still good. Not including last night’s game, Brett Gardner’s wOBA is .377 and he’s been worth 1.4 WAR thus far, compared to Damon’s 1.0.
The Yankees are definitely doing more than okay without Matsui and Damon and Lupica’s comment is certainly out of line. But, then again, should I really expect something different out of him at this point?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees