Robinson Cano is hitting really well this year. Not including last night’s 1-5 performance, he’s got a .438 wOBA which is the fifth best mark in baseball. It leads all second basemen by .038 points (Kelly Johnson, .400). He also leads second basemen in average (the majors as well), OBP, SLG, OPS, wRC, and wRAA.
In terms of WAR–FanGraphs version–Robbie Cano and his 3.8 WAR are second only in all of baseball to Minnesota first baseman Justin Morneau and his 4.1 WAR. These two have definitely been the best hitters in the Majors all year, and as we start to come to the second half of the season, it’s likely these two will be in the same position by season’s end.
For what it’s worth, ZIPS has Cano posting a .373 wOBA from here on out, ending with a .400 mark for the season. Morneau’s projected for a .404 wOBA the rest of the way, which would result in a .429 wOBA. Using methodology and assuming the same fielding–plus 2.3 for Robbie, plus 6.4 for Morneau– Cano could end up being worth 6.02 WAR, with Morneau being worth 6.96. As they are now, they’ll likely be close with a slight edge to Morneau.
But, as we all know, projections are just projections. Both players could soar from here on out, both players could tank from here on out, one could rise, one could soar…you get the idea. As of right now, they’ve been the two most valuable players in the league and it’s hard to argue that. These guys are both talented enough to be in the very same position come awards season.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees