Didn’t see any of this one due to a beautiful early evening spent on the Great Lawn playing catch and drinking wine, followed by a trip to Shake Shack in honor of National Hamburger Day. Thankfully the Yankees did what they were supposed to do and ripped the last-place Indians 8-2 on Friday night.
In Curtis Granderson‘s much-anticipated return to the lineup, Phil Hughes regained his early season dominant form, throwing seven innings of two-run ball while striking out eight in the process, including the first five batters he faced(!) It was actually only a two-run game going into the bottom of the seventh, primarily due to a second inning Nick Swisher two-run home run (has anyone come through with more timely bombs than Swish thus far this season? I think not) that gave the Yankees an early and much-needed lead.
The gamebreaking blast was a Robinson Cano grand slam in the 7th, which helped give the Yankees their biggest margin of victory in nearly two weeks, since Andy Pettitte beat the Twins 7-1 on Saturday, May 15. It was also Cano’s first career start batting cleanup. After reaching a season-low point on May 17 of .322/.380/.575 (which is still obviously fantastic), Cano’s back on fire, and his season line now sits at .351/.398/.596.
Granderson reached base three times in his return, drawing a walk, pounding a double and getting hit by a pitch. Good to have you back, Curtis.
Photo courtesy of The NY Daily News.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees