I didn’t see any of Sunday afternoon’s 6-3 loss to the Twins, and it looks like I picked a good game to spend the entire day outdoors. I of course kept tabs on the score, and was pleasantly surprised — if not outright shocked — to see that the Yankees somehow had a 3-1 lead after 7 innings.
Of course, I was even more surprised to check back shortly thereafter to find that not only had the Twins taken a 6-3 lead in the 8th, but had done so by hitting a grand slam off Mariano Rivera! I immediately wondered if Mo had ever given a grand slam up; it turns out he’s done it four times, with the last coming all the way back in 2002.
Shocking as it was, it’s hard to get too upset about this one. I already penciled the Yankees in for a loss with Mitre starting, and while I was very excited that the team was on the cusp of stealing a win, given that we already won the series this isn’t really that big a deal.
It appears the offense squandered several opportunities, leaving nine on base and only picking up three runs despite getting nine hits off Twins starter Nick Blackburn. The Yanks even put the first two runners on in the bottom of the ninth against closer Jon Rauch (Randy Winn and Ramiro Pena of all people!), before Rauch somehow struck out the side (Derek Jeter, Brett Gardner and Mark Teixera, of all people).
Additionally, Mo wasn’t going to have a 0.00 ERA all year, and as invincible as Mo is 99% of the team, even He isn’t infallible. Better a blast like this come now than in October, that’s for sure.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees