I missed this game, due to a matinee of “American Idiot” — which marked the first time in history I knew the words to every single song in a Broadway musical — and a second consecutive Saturday dinner at Ruth’s Chris Steak House. Given my lifelong love of Green Day I unsurprisingly thought “Idiot” was fantastic. I was also predictably excited that upon exiting the theater I saw that the Yankees were beating Cleveland 10-5 after six innings, and all seemed right with the world. I turned my BlackBerry off as I was trying to conserve my battery and figured the Yanks had the game in the bag.
Apparently I was horrendously wrong. The bullpen coughed up a five-run lead for the third time in the last two weeks (!) and the Yankees somehow lost a game they absolutely should have won by a final score of 13-11.
This is the fourth straight start by CC Sabathia the Yankees have lost. Also, Boston and Tampa Bay both won. All in all another wretched pitching performance. Losing games where the offense scores 11 runs is inexcusable, and Joba Chamberlain better be doing some serious soul searching, because he has not gotten the job done this season thus far.
* One of my all-time favorite Yankee quotes. Per my dad, this was former Yankee manager Stump Merrill’s response to a reporter during a particularly brutal stretch of the Yankees’ wretched 1990 season.
Photo courtesy of Getty Images
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees