John Harper thinks the Yankees should trade Javy Vazquez to the Mets. He is wrong.
First off, Vazquez is making $11.5MM this season. Unless the Yankees want to pay the rest of it, I don’t think anyone would take it on. I also don’t think that the Yankees would want to pay someone with Vazquez’s talent to not pitch for them. It’s also doubtful that the Yankees will give up on Vazquez at all. Anyway, onto Harper’s article.
PHILADELPHIA – There’s a perfect solution to the Javy Vazquez problem in the Bronx: trade him to the Mets and everyone comes away happy.
Well, no. It’s not a perfect solution and not everyone comes away happy.
Think about it. For the Mets there’s just no getting around the obvious – they’re going to need another starter to parlay their hot couple of weeks into serious contention this season. They can’t live with the inconsistencies of both John Maine and Oliver Perez over the long haul.
Sure, getting Javy Vazquez makes sense for the Mets. He is, after all, a pitcher with a good track record. Anyone would want him.
And while Vazquez is a mess mentally trying to overcome his issues pitching with the Yankees, put him back in the National League and he’d likely go right back to being a dependable starter, if not the Cy Young contender he was last year.
So being in the NL will give Javy his fastball velocity and curveball movement back?
For the Yankees, meanwhile, they could wash their hands of what is developing into a major problem. And the way Phil Hughes is pitching, as well as their Big Three, they could plug Sergio Mitre – who has looked very good in relief – into the rotation and be just fine.
Sergio Mitre has pitched 7.1 innings and has walked more batters than he’s struck out. His ERA looks great at 1.23, but his FIP is at a solid-but-much-less-impressive 3.98 and his xFIP is 5.41. Right now he’s giving up fewer than three (!!) hits per nine, has an .088 BA against and a .102 BABIP against. Those numbers will not keep up in relief, let alone starting in what is arguably the toughest division in American sports.
Considering the Yankees would also be dumping Vazquez’s $11.5 million salary, it shouldn’t take more than a decent prospect to make it a fair swap.
I can has Jenrry Mejia?
Somehow, I don’t think Cashman is ready to [trade Mitre]
Hey, look at that! I agree with him, but for different reasons. Harper says it’s about pride. I think he’s not ready to do that ’cause it’s May 4th as I write this and no player should be given up on that early.
Cut to the end after a few paragraphs detailing Minaya’s former pursuits of Vazquez and how the Mets feel good about Johan, Mike Pelfrey, and Jon Niese and how they don’t want to solve their pitching problem by letting Jenrry Mejia start.
The easy answer to all of this is Vazquez. It makes all the sense in the world for both the Mets and Yankees. If only someone could convince Cashman of that.
Well, frankly John, you’ve done an awful job at explaining why. You don’t say why it works for the Yankees, nor do you specify whom they should receive. Better luck next time.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees