Joe Girardi had the following to say about Javy Vazquez’ poor outing in his first game:
Javier Vazquez will be trying to move on from his disappointing season debut. Girardi said Vazquez rushed last week again Tampa, causing his arm slot to drop. “His fastball was running too much back across the middle of the plate,” Girardi said.
A look at the strikezone plot does not seem to show a ton of fastballs hanging over the middle:
[image title="location.pfx" size="full" id="16710" align="center" linkto="full" ]
That seems to be a fairly normal distribution, with just a handful of fastballs ending up in the middle of the plate. I think that the issue may have been one of arm strength, as Javy’s velocity on his fastball was at 89.6, down from 91.2 last season. While his velocity has been trending downwards over the last few seasons, this seems like an unnatural jump that is likely a product of it being early in the season, such that his arm is not yet entirely built up to its “final” velocity.
While velocity is not the most important thing for a pitcher to have at his disposal, it can help limit the damage when location is missed. A few MPH missing on the fastball can cause a handful of pitches that happen to stay over the middle to be sprayed all over the ballpark. It might take a few starts for Javy to get his arm up to speed, but he should be fine. Hopefully the fans at the Stadium today give him the benefit of the doubt. Why am I not optimistic?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees