Kevin Goldstein of Baseball Prospectus released a new prospect list over at ESPN.com, and Jesus Montero checked in at 2nd:
Jesus Montero, C, New York Yankees (Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre)
Monday’s stats: 2-for-4, HR (1), 2 R, RBI
New York City got awfully excited about Ike Davis, a good-but-not-great prospect, coming to town on Monday. What will it be like later in the season when the Yankees call up one of the best prospects in the game? Surely, the surrounding factors won’t be the same. Mets fans are desperate for a light of hope in a miserable lineup and want Davis to be the answer, while Montero won’t arrive with the same expectations. At 20 years old, he’s one of the youngest everyday players at the upper levels, but he’s also the top hitting prospect in the minors. Montero is batting .300 and showed off power for the first time Monday afternoon against former big leaguer R.A. Dickey. Get the hype train revved up again.
With Jayson Heyward seemingly in Atlanta for good, Montero has a case for being the best hitter currently in the minor leagues. While some other prospects may have more value due to their abilities defensively compared to Montero’s meager backstopping skills, his bat is unquestionably elite. He homered for the first time this season in yesterday’s game, and has started to heat up a bit. He is now hitting .300/.364/.450 (courtesy of RAB‘s Montero watch), and has had a hit in all but one of his 12 games. Montero’s bat is close to ready, and the only thing holding him back is his defense. He should be a ton of fun to track over the next few months.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees