I just finished a marathon 4-hour live draft. Half of our league were on our computers, the other half at Pour House in the city. Its a pretty competitive 12 player, head-to-head, 5×5 league. We’ve been doing this for five years now, and I generally get hammered due to being away from my computer for 2 months every summer. Still, I’ve had some bad drafts recently after taking up a fairly risky young player-heavy strategy. Here is the team I just drafted:
C: Matt Wieters
1b: Joey Votto
2b: Brian Roberts
SS: Jose Reyes
3b: Ryan Zimmerman
OF: Matt Kemp
OF: Jay Bruce
OF: Garrett Jones
Util: Vlad Guerrero
Util: Juan Rivera
BN: Dexter Fowler
BN: Brett Gardner
SP: Roy Halladay
SP: Jake Peavy
SP: Scott Baker
RP: Andrew Baily
RP: Frank Francisco
P: Jamie Shields
P: Ted Lilly
P: Matt Thornton
BN: Kevin Correia
BN: Johnny Cueto
BN: Ian Kennedy
I had the 7th overall pick of the draft. I generally hate being sandwiched in the middle of the round, but it only burned me once or twice in the late rounds this year. I had a choice between Matt Kemp and Prince Fielder with my pick, and I picked Kemp without hesitation, knowing that Joey Votto would be available in the later rounds. Roy Halladay was a value pick in the 2nd round, even though I hadn’t planned on looking for a starting pitcher at that point. I then selected Votto, and got Ryan Zimmerman in the 4th round. I was pretty shocked to see Jose Reyes around in the 5th sound, so I scooped him up, and then added Brian Roberts a round later.
At that point, I felt pretty secure with my hitting core, so I started drafting some upside. Jake Peavy could be a real bargain, even if he’s going to get hurt by the American League and his new home ballpark. While he is healthy, I’m pretty sure he’ll be a top-5 starter. I love both Jay Bruce and Garrett Jones, and could potentially get 2nd round numbers out of them. Wieters was an easy pick when he was available, and could also be 2nd round material when all is said and done. I grabbed Guerrero and Rivera late for some solid all-around numbers. Dextor Fowler is one of my favorite young hitters, and Brett Gardner doesn’t suck as a 25th pick.
After Peavy, I felt a little insecure on the pitching side, so I picked up Jamie Shields and Scott Baker. Andrew Baily was another value pick – I had prepared myself to be content with Brian Wilson as my lead closer. Frank Francisco was the last real solid closer left when I picked him, which may have been a round too late. I figure that there’s a 50/50 shot that Matt Thornton is a closer by June, and his numbers are great regardless. Ted Lilly had a much better 2009 than people expected. Correia, Cueto, and Kennedy are slight reaches, but it was late and I’m expecting all three to have some upside.
I think that if a few things go may way, I have a really dangerous team. It doesn’t take a lot of faith to expect a great year out of Jose Reyes, and Matt Wieters is begging to break out. I’m pretty solid in stats all around, though I’m depending a bit on Reyes for my stolen bases. I love the HR/RBI/Runs that my team should put up, and batting average shouldn’t suck either. While my pitching carries some risk, Halladay is the perfect rock to build my church on.
Thoughts? How do you think the team will measure up against my 11 other opponents?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees