Pitching Coach Dave Eiland addressed the notion that Phil Hughes would be sent to AAA if he doesn’t land the #5 spot in a recent YES interview. Here’s the quote:
Joe Auriemma-”You came into spring training with a really solid staff, very deep. What can you can about having that good problem of having all of these good starting pitchers being able to compete for that 5th spot and ultimately possibly moving them into a bullpen strengthening role “
Dave Eiland-”Well, yeah, you just said it. It’s a tough decision, but a good one to have. The 4 guys that don’t make it, most of them . . ALL of them will go down to the bullpen. That will make our bullpen that much better, and the guy that wins the 5th spot deserves it. It’s really a no lose situation for our team and organization. “
He also took exception when a question was posed that made the 5th starter competition sound like a 2 horse race between Hughes and Joba, saying “those other 3 guys are more than ‘in the mix’ ” as the interviewer stated and “it’s not a 2 horse race”.
This should put to rest the notion that Phil Hughes would be sent to AAA. Hughes won’t go to AAA for the same reason he and Joba were called up in the first place. You want your best arms on your MLB club. I also don’t get why the same people who want Hughes sent to Scranton don’t recommend it for Joba. Why not? Both have 3 years of MLB service time, Joba spent very little time in the minors, whereas Hughes spent parts of 4 years there. I agree with Mike Axisa on this, I don’t think it makes any sense for either of them, and have yet to see anyone in the Yankee organization who thinks otherwise.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees