With all the talk from Brian Cashman this off season about him having “a number” when dealing with various free agents and his firm stance of sticking to it, I wanted to take a moment to figure out where that number currently stands. The Randy Winn signing appears to be the final move of any significance this off-season, Brian repeatedly has stated he “had 2 mil left” and that was it. He said on last night’s YES Yankee Hot Stove show that at this point he’s just looking at non-roster invitees for Spring Training. While he certainly let some expensive veterans go in Matsui and Damon, he also added some relatively expensive pieces in Vasquez, Granderson and Johnson. I’m using Opening Day payroll, for what I hope are obvious reasons. Before we begin, here are the prior annual figures to put the current number into some sort of context.
- Opening Day payrolls for 25-man roster
(salaries plus pro-rated signing bonuses):
- 2009: $201,449,189
- 2008: $209,081,577
- 2007: $189,639,045
- 2006: $194,663,079
- 2005: $208,306,817
- 2004: $184,193,950
- 2003: $152,749,814
- 2002: $125,928,583
- 2001: $112,287,143
- 2000: $107,588,459
It never ceases to amaze me how the payroll exploded when George took back control from Cashman after the disappointing 02 season. Brian resumed control of Baseball ops after the 05 season, and payroll has been relatively flat since then, except for the A-Rod contract after the 07 season that was worked out directly with the Steinbrenner brothers, which Brian has said on the record that he was opposed to.
Next, I’ll make up a mock 25 man roster with 2010 salaries. Pre-arb guys haven’t had their contracts done yet, but they rarely get big raises so I’m just using the 09 figures. Phil Hughes getting an extra 5 grand isn’t worth waiting for. Don’t get too hung up on the last few guys in the bullpen or on the bench. If they go with Jon Albaladejo over Mark Melancon, both will earn roughly the MLB minimum, so payroll-wise it’s a wash. Even the difference between Sergio Mitre and Player X from AAA is only a few hundred thousand, which won’t affect the final number all that much.
Here goes, from top to bottom:
Alex Rodriguez-32 mil
CC Sabathia-23 mil
Derek Jeter-21 mil
Mark Teixeira-20 mil
AJ Burnett-16.5 mil
Mariano Rivera-15 mil
Jorge Posada 13.1 mil
Andy Pettitte-11.75 mil
Javier Vasquez-11.5 mil
Robinson Cano-9 mil
Nick Swisher-6.75 mil
Curtis Granderson 5.5 mil
Nick Johnson-5.5 mil
Damaso Marte-4 mil
Chad Gaudin-2.95 mil
Randy Winn-2 mil
Boone Logan $590,000
Ladies and Gentlemen, we have our number. Bringing Johnny Damon back for 6-7 mil would have set a new all time payroll record, which the Yanks are loathe to do. It’s also worth noting that Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera, Javier Vasquez, Andy Pettitte, Randy Winn and Chad Gaudin all have expiring contracts. Nick Johnson has a mutual option for 2011, so the Yanks will have 65-70 mil coming off the books for next year’s free agent class. Some of which will undoubtedly go to the aforementioned players.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees