Jim Bowden, the Reds’ general manager, declined to discuss the Yankees’ involvement, but an official familiar with the (David) Wells talks said Steinbrenner called Bowden Saturday night and offered pitcher Mariano Rivera and catcher Jorge Posada.
Bowden, looking to cut his payroll, obviously decided he preferred Goodwin, a 23-year-old left-handed hitter, who in 87 games with the Orioles last season batted .263 and had 22 stolen bases in 26 attempts.
Anyone who has followed Baseball for a while has heard stories like this. Joel Sherman had a tidbit in his book “Birth of a Dynasty” that had the Yanks dealing Mariano Rivera for a washed-up Felix Fermin at a time when Derek Jeter was almost ready to contribute on the big league level. But at least in that case, it was the Yanks who turned it down. This proposed deal was shot down by Reds GM Jim Bowden, which makes it a much closer call.
Another good ‘Thank God we didn’t make that trade’ was the Randy Johnson deal with the Diamondbacks. You may recall, those talks were on again-off again as The Big Unit wanted to go to the Yanks (for a big contract extension) and the D-Backs didn’t really like any of the Yankee farmhands. So Brian Cashman offered them a list of players to choose from, one that included Robinson Cano and Chien Ming Wang.
1050 ESPN Radio personality Jody MacDonald often recounts a story from when his Dad (Joe MacDonald) who was the NY Mets GM from 1974-1978. In 1976, where the Yanks were looking for a veteran bat off the bench. They called the Mets inquiring about (then player) Joe Torre, and offered a young lefthander who was struggling a bit in the majors at the time named Ron Guidry. MacDonald liked the idea, but the Yanks backed out at the last minute.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
- 手機殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
- 手機外殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees