This is a discussion that I had with a number of people on Twitter last night and garnered some strong reactions. With the Dodgers in a bit of turmoil and having had some success with Manny suspended, it is conceivable that a team could steal Manny Ramirez at a low cost in terms of prospects. I suggested that there are worse options out there for the Yankees than Manny Ramirez. Let’s run through the pros and cons.
Pro: Manny spent most of his career in the AL and is one of the greatest hitters of all time. He is not afraid of the big moment.
Con: Manny’s OPS decreased each month, and he looked slow on fastballs late in the year.
Pro: he still matched his career OPS+ of 155 and had a .991 OPS outside of Dodger Stadium. He had an amazing .418 OBP, showing that he still has a stellar eye.
Con: He cannot field.
Pro: At least he can play out there a bit, so he can be a good DH/LF candidate.
Con: He’s Manny. That means major distractions and effort issues.
Pro: The Yankees are used to dealing with distractions and have a very strong clubhouse that should be able to handle Manny.
Con: He costs 20 million dollars.
Pro: It is a one year deal. Jason Bay and Matt Holliday have never had a 155 OPS+ in their careers, and they want close to 20 million for 5+ years.
Con: He was a Red Sox.
Pro: It will drive their fans crazy.
Is Manny my first option? No. But would he make more sense than some of the big names out there? I think so. What do you think about Manny?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees