The Yankees’ acquisition of Curtis Granderson yesterday obviously affects their other outfielders and free agents Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui. ESPN’s Buster Olney says that if the Yanks re-sign Damon, they’re more likely to trade Nick Swisher. He finds it “increasingly unlikely” that they re-sign Matsui, whether or not Damon returns. Olney doesn’t mention it, but we also have to consider the possibility Melky Cabrera is dealt. Damon, for his part, still thinks there’s a window for him to return (talking to Tyler Kepner of the New York Times).
Trade Nick Swisher? I’m calling BS on Buster Olney here. Swisher was a very productive right fielder this season, is under contract for two more years, and the Yankees have no obvious replacement for him. Melky Cabrera would be a huge downgrade, Johnny Damon can’t throw in left field, and Curtis Granderson will play center.
Nick Swisher is also probably still underrated throughout the league. his .249 batting average obscures his value, and at the very least would not be a sell-high candidate. Therefore, the only reason to trade him would be as part of a mega-deal for someone else. The Yankees aren’t selling him for prospects. They aren’t dumping payroll. Sure, maybe the Blue Jays are mildly interested in Nick Swisher, but do you really think they want him in a Roy Halladay deal?
Tim Dierkes definitely has it right when he says that Melky Cabrera is the more likely player to be traded.
Sorry Buster, but I’m not buying it. You might want to find another source or two.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees