The Yankees have a few weeks to prepare for the Rule V draft. The Yankees have 40 roster spots, and a list of Rule V eligible young players to protect. The Yankees have shed good players for years now. Could this year be different? How many players will be vulnerable? Is anyone in line for a DFA?
Wilkins De La Rosa
Andy Pettitte (let’s be honest)
Near Lock: (2)
Free Agents: (6)
Rule V locks:
Rule V eligible, not locks:
Romulo Sanchez (Pretty sure he is eligible)
George Kontos (TJ surgery)
The Yankees are going to add at least 2 players to the 40-man to replace Matsui and Damon. They will need spots available for them. I think that we can also expect one of Hinske or Hairston to be retained. That makes 3 spots. That means that between threatened and and on-lock Rule V players needs to be weened down to 7.
My guess is that the Yankees will retain Ramirez, Mitre, Kroenke, Nunez, Wang, and Albaladejo. They will value players that can be optioned down after spring training.
Schmdit will definitely be taken in the Rule V draft. He’s gone. No big loss. Corona will probably be taken, but may have problems sticking with a major league team. Curtis is probably safe, and Sanchez may or may not still be eligible.
Its a much better situation than the Yankees faced last season. Various roster crunches caused them to shed four (the most I can ever remember a team giving up) Rule-V eligible players, all of whom were later returned to traded. The Yankees also would lose Anthony Claggett, Eric Hacker and Steven Jackson to 40-man crunches this season, and had to trade Jeff Marquez for Nick Swisher (not that I’m complaining) last season.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees