David Wells won’t be getting the keys to the city of Philadelphia anytime soon. He recently penned an article for the NY Post, where he nukes the fans, saying all the rotten things you’ve heard about them are true, and then some. He writes:
All the bad stuff you’ve heard about Philadelphia, site of the next three World Series games, is absolutely true. The people in that town would give The Finger to their own mom. That’s how bad that town is.
It’s just incredible how ruthless and rude Philadelphia people are. They love their Phillies, but even Jimmy Rollins had a run-in with the fans earlier in the year and they started booing him. It’s crazy.
When I was in Philadelphia earlier this postseason with Cal Ripken Jr., Dennis Eckersley and Ernie Johnson for TBS, we got booed. We were just doing our show out in center field and people were walking by saying “You fat piece of [bleep]. . . . Tell Cal he’s gay. . . . Ernie Johnson sucks.”
I’m like, “Who the hell are these people?” We’ve got no part of baseball.
We’re doing the game and TBS stuff and these Phillies fans are just f-bombing us to death.
They are angry people. It’s going to be tough, because they are very vocal, foul and can maybe cause havoc on some of the younger guys, but I don’t think they will give the Yankees any problem. The only problem will be for these Phillies fans, when they lose. The Yankees will shut them up.
I put Philadelphia, Cleveland and Oakland atop my list for the worst fans in baseball, with Philadelphia No. 1.
You know what? I understand there are a lot of good people and good fans there. But I went to the NFC championship game several years ago between the Buccaneers and Eagles. I was sitting in a luxury box with a buddy of mine and a friend of his who owned the box. I was rooting for Tampa Bay, and the owner of the box got really mad at me and told me to get the hell out of his box. He was serious.
Tampa Bay won the game and advanced to the Super Bowl and we were walking to the car, and people were throwing bottles, breaking car windows and kicking car doors. So all the Tampa Bay fans were getting Eagles jerseys and putting them over their Buccaneers jerseys so they wouldn’t get beat up. It is unbelievable. That is how bad the fans are in Philadelphia. It’s not Brotherly Love in that town — it’s Brotherly Hate.
Yankee fans will remember that David Wells always had rabbit ears even as a player, getting into incidents with Red Sox fans, among others. But I believe the stuff he says about Eagles fans. Eagles fans have a long deserved reputation as being among the worst in all of professional sports. But I’ve always thought Phillies fans were a different breed, but not according to Mr Wells. Take it for what it’s worth.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees