In the spirit of recapping the games I attended during the 2009 season, I thought it might be fun to take a look at the Yankee playoff games I’ve been fortunate enough to attend over the years:
|1995||ALDS 2||Seattle||Pettitte v. Benes||W, 7-5*|
|1996||ALDS 1||Texas||Cone v. Burkett||L, 6-2|
|1996||ALCS 1||Baltimore||Pettitte v. Erickson||W, 5-4*|
|1998||ALCS 2||Cleveland||Cone v. Nagy||L, 4-1*|
|2003||ALDS 2||Minnesota||Pettitte v. Radke||W, 4-1|
|2003||ALCS 2||Boston||Pettitte v. Lowe||W, 6-2|
|2003||ALCS 7||Boston||Clemens v. Martinez||W, 6-5*|
|2007||ALDS 3||Cleveland||Clemens v. Westbrook||W, 8-4|
Prior to compiling this list I could’ve sworn I’d been to more than eight playoff games, but there you have it. I was in college from 1999 through 2002, which explains that particular gap. And I can’t say I’m terribly upset about not attending any games in 2004, 2005 and 2006.
I’ve also never attended a World Series game (my dad and my brother were at Game 4 in 1999 to see the Yanks complete the sweep of the Braves), which will hopefully change this year.
I’m 6-2 all-time at Yankee Stadium in October, with four of those 6 victories coming in extra innings. I’ve seen Andy Pettitte start 50% of the time, with David Cone and Roger Clemens each accounting for a quarter.
The only one of these games that doesn’t really resonate for me is Game 1 of the 1996 ALDS vs. Texas. Aside from the Yankees losing, I seem to recall a long home run from Juan-Gone, and that’s about it.
Otherwise, almost of these games contain moments forever etched in the memories of Yankee fans. In addition to bearing witness to the first of Jim Leyritz’s many heroic October feats via his 15th-inning walk-off bomb, Game 2 of the 1995 ALDS vs. the Mariners also marked Donnie Baseball’s first (and only) career playoff home run, along with Mariano Rivera’s first postseason win.
Game 1 of the ALCS against the Orioles was the Jeffrey Maier game. Game 2 of the 1998 ALCS vs. Cleveland was Chuck Knoblauch throwing the game away (and, one might argue, his career); Game 2 of the 2003 ALDS was the Yankees needing a win after going down 0-1 to the Twins, with Pettitte once again coming through in a big spot — same story with Game 2 of the 2003 ALCS vs. Boston; and the last game I attended was the Yankees’ last playoff victory, Game 3 of the 2007 ALDS, with my boy Phil Hughes coming in relief of a lame Roger Clemens and picking up his first postseason win (while I was rocking my HUGHES 65 name-and-number tee in the Upper Deck, natch).
Additionally, while my dad obviously raised me to be a die-hard Yankee fan, I don’t think he truly realized how zealous a devotee I’d grown into until Boone’s home run cleared the wall that night, leading to me screaming and cheering at the top of my lungs like a mental patient while belting out “New York, New York” so many consecutive times that I literally had no voice the next day.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
- 手機殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
- 手機外殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees