In a scene that was surely replicated in bars and living rooms around America, I turned to my friends after the final out of last night’s game and said, “It’s been too long.” Although it sounds like the conceit of a spoiled Yankee fan to consider 6 seasons between pennants a long stretch, the circumstances of that period really make it a valid point. The Yankees had massive expectations in each season, and each successive failure just made the stretch even more painful.
We then began running through exactly how long ago it was, doing the typical “The last time the Yankees were in the World Series, x, y, and z were different.” Some of them were personal (the last time the Yankees were in the World Series, I was single, now I have a wife and daughter), some were painful (the last time the Yankees were in the World Series, the Red Sox were still cursed), and some were just plain sad (the last time the Yankees were in the World Series, Roger Clemens was famous for being a pitcher and Steve Phillips was known as a GM). However, the one that really struck home and drove home how long it has been was this one:
The last time the Yankees were in the World Series, Alex Rodriguez was a Texas Ranger.
For the first time in the A-Rod era, the Yankees will be playing for a chance at their 27th championship. I am ecstatic over the ALCS win, and really love every player on this team, but there is no one that I am happier for than Alex Rodriguez.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
- 手機殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
- 手機外殼 on The Yankees’ Standing In The AL East Right Now
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees