I keep using the word magic to describe this team, but with all the alliterative P’s in play tonight, I couldn’t help but feel this victory was pure poetry. How fitting is it that, the night the Yankees move on to the ALCS, they have to go through Carl Pavano, of all people? The American Idle may be the foremost symbol of Yankee futility for the past 8 years. By moving past the Twins and Pavano, the Yanks are symbolically putting the past few years behind them.
The symmetry doesn’t end there, however. Who are the heroes tonight? It was almost like turning back the clock, as Pettitte is nearly perfect for 6.1, Posada hits the winning home run and drives in another with a clutch 9th inning single, Jeter makes a classic heads up Derek Jeter defensive play, and Mo comes in for archetypal 4 out Mariano save.
This is not to say that there weren’t contributions by the ringless members of the team. On the contrary, this victory was a melding of the new and old as A-Rod continued to dominate with the huge game-tying bomb and a big walk and run scored in the top of the 9th to secure the victory. Nick Swisher also made a heads-up defensive play of his own, throwing out Cuddyer at second on a single under Robbie Cano’s glove. The Yanks looked like the fundamentally sound team of the dynasty era as the Twins made baserunning blunder after baserunning blunder all series.
Want more poetry? Who’s the team that the Yankees have never been able to beat in this Championship-free era: the Angels. Who beat the Yankees and won the World Series at the beginning of this era: the Angels. Who do the Yankees play next round in the ALCS: those same Angels.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees