No surprises, here, folks. As unpredictable as baseball can be sometimes, game 1 couldn’t have been much more predictable.
Big Bad Yankees bludgeon scrappy Twins into submission.
- The kids from Minnesota got off to a great start, scoring two runs in the third off of three straight singles and a passed ball that Posada was slow to get after.
- A-Rod looked overeager in squandering two straight opportunities with runners on. Anything seemed possible. Maybe the little team that could would scratch out enough runs and their gutty rookie hurler would find a way to keep the Yankee bats quiet.
- This notion lasted about 5 minutes, as Derek Jeter comes back in the bottom of the inning to tie the game with a clutch 2-run blast which seemed to open the floodgates, as the Yanks scored in 3 of the next 4 innings.
- The 4th: Swisher doubles in Cano on a daring send by 3rd base coach, Rob Thomson.
- The 5th: A-Rod comes through with a clutch 2-out single to score the Captain and knock out Duensing. Matsui follows that up with the knockout punch: a two-run opposite field blast into the jet stream.
- The 7th: A-Rod, looking completely relaxed now, single in Jeter a second time.
- It then became all about Sabathia and the pen as Hughes comes in to get an out in the 7th and get CC out of a jam. A patented JoeG mix and match 8th ensues, with Hughes, Coke, and Joba each getting outs, leading to a predictable but satisfying 9th inning close by the great one.
Cast of Characters:
- The Redeemer: Alex Rodriguez goes 2-4 with 2 RBI. He has to put it all together for a whole postseason, but this was one heck of a beginning.
- The Captain: Derek Jeter makes it all happen in this game, playing the hero. How does 2-2, 2 RBI and 3 runs scored sound? DJ plays a role in 5 of the 7 Yankee runs. Hero, indeed.
- Godzilla: Like any good lightning breathed lizard, you can never count him out. He gave the knock out punch.
- The Ace: CC did his job, yielding only 1 earned in 6 2/3 with 8 Ks and 0 walks.
- The Bridge: Phil Hughes get CC out of his jam by blowing pure smoke past the Twins hitters, throwing nothing but fastballs in the 7th and saying, “here it is, try to catch up to it.”
- The Enigma: Joba flashes to the mound like a will o’ the wisp, needing only 2 pitches to get the final out in the 8th.
- The Great One: Mariano allows a couple singles, but closes yet another postseason game.
The only fly in the ointment was the awful play of Jorge Posada, who just had an off night, getting crossed up, not hustling after loose balls and generally embarassing himself behind the plate. An intense and prideful competitor, expect to see Posada focused and energetic the next time we see him behind the plate with Andy.
The sequel: Friday
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees