From Mark Feinsand:
That means handing the ball to Sabathia in Game 1 – and likely in Game 4, too. Sabathia could pitch in Games 1, 4 and 7 against the Angels while only having to take the ball on short rest in the middle start thanks to off-days.
“We’ll enjoy tonight and talk about it over the next couple days,” Girardi said. “You want to be able to throw your ace in the first game and now we can do that.”
I brought this up prior to the postseason, and seeing how important starting pitching was in the first round only convinced me further that pitching CC just once on short rest would be the right move. This is how it would break down:
Gm 1 Fri Oct. 16 Sabathia (on full rest)
Gm 2 Sat Oct. 17 Burnett
Gm 3 Mon Oct. 19 Pettitte
Gm 4 Tue Oct. 20 Sabathia (on 3 days)
Gm 5* Thu Oct. 22 Burnett
Gm 6* Sat Oct. 24 Pettitte
Gm 7* Sun Oct. 25 Sabathia (on full rest)
I think CC can handle one game on short rest, as the Yankees gave him plenty of rest as the season came to a close and he is getting a week off before his next start. He has pitched very well in his 4 career short rest starts, and obviously has the body type to handle some extra work.
In the playoffs, you want to throw your best guys as often as possible. Pitching Chad Gaudin when CC is available would be silly, unless the Yankees have a 3-0 lead. In any other situation, CC should get the ball.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees