The Yanks have recently kicked around the idea of carrying 10 pitchers for the ALDS. Just to see what that would look like, I’ll make up a 25 man postseason roster. 10 pitchers, 15 position players.
Joba Chamberlain/Chad Gaudin/Alby/Bruney
I don’t know about you, but I’d drop Freddy Guzman and take an extra pitcher, myself. Rather have Gaudin+Joba than Guzman. Its not like Ramiro Pena or Jerry Hairston can’t pinch run for you. I understand that Guzman is crazy fast, 80 on a scouts 20-80 scale. But is the marginal speed difference between him and Pena or Hairston worth carrying one less pitcher? I don’t think so.
I think Joba likely gets taken over Chad Gaudin, since we know Joba has the ability to utterly dominate out of the bullpen. But Gaudin could eat up 3 innings somewhere in a game where the starter gets knocked out early and save Ace/D-Rob from having to do so, leaving them strong to perform in a win rather than waste them doing mop-up work in a game which will likely end in a loss. We need a long man, and Gaudin would be perfect. He could hold down the fort and even give you a chance to win that game. I just don’t want Ace or D-Rob wasting their arms (and being unavailable/less effective the next game) what in all likelihood will be a losing cause.
Another thing to consider is that there is some overlap as to where these guys play. Pena plays 2B/SS/3B, Guzman plays LF/CF/RF and Hairston plays just about everywhere. If they drop Pena and go Hairston as the backup infielder, Guzman as the 5th outfielder and an 11th pitcher, I’m on board.
But this decision may wind up being made for them. LoHud reported yesterday that Hairston’s wrist injury could be serious, and if that’s the case that would finish him for the season.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees