While beating the Red Sox always makes for interesting storylines of its own, tonight’s game produced two occurrences of note:
1) Joba Chamberlain pitched well. If anything, Chamberlain may have been hampered by the long innings the Yankees had at the plate, but he pitched six innings completely and used only 86 pitches to get there. It wasn’t the best start anyone has ever had, but it was a marked improvement from his disaster start in Seattle.
One start does not mean that all concerns about Joba are alleviated, but it does mean that a game four LCS start is not necessarily a lost cause.
2) Melky Cabrera took Jon Lester out with a liner off of the plant leg. Officially, it’s a contusion on the quadriceps, but every fan of the Red Sox has got to be concerned–Lester appeared to be in serious pain, and he is easily one of the two best Red Sox pitchers (though he didn’t pitch like it tonight.)
The Yankee offense has Alex Rodriguez to thank tonight–his four RBI ended up as the difference in the final 9-5 score.
It should also be mentioned that the Yankees ran roughshod over Boston’s defense, stealing bases at will and not even coming close to getting caught. If the Red Sox have to contend with the Angels’ running game in October, this may not be a good omen.
The Yankees have reduced their magic number to three–the same as Boston. If, however, the teams split the remaining games and Texas keeps winning, it’s actually possible that neither team clinches this weekend.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees