Reds right-hander Edinson Volquez is expected to miss a year after having reconstructive surgery on his right elbow.
Volquez had surgery Monday to repair a torn ligament and other damage in his pitching elbow.
The 26-year-old Volquez went 4-2 in nine starts before his elbow began bothering him. He has been on the disabled list since June 2.
Young pitchers need to be babied, because overuse can lead to serious injuries. Volquez progressed properly in terms of innings limits. He went from 127 to 140 to 155 to 180 to 196, never jumping more than 30 innings at a time. However, two seasons ago he was traded into the control of Dusty Baker, otherwise known as the destroyer of arms, or the man who killed Prior and Wood. He threw over 110 pitches 14 times last season as a 24 year old, including 5 times in his last 6 starts. His numbers to start this season were off from the start, and it seems that he will likely miss 2010 now as well.
The next time someone complains to you about the restrictions the Yankees have placed on Joba Chamberlain’s innings, or curses Joe Girardi for pulling him after 98 pitches, point them towards Edinson Volquez. His truly is a cautionary tale. Will all young pitchers react to the workload in the same fashion as Volquez? Certainly not. Will some who are protected get hurt anyhow? Most definitely. But it is better to be safe than sorry, especially when dealing with an ace caliber arm.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees