From Matt Ehalt:
Girardi also said that come playoff time, the Joba Rules may be waived as it will be “all hands on deck.”
“This is part of the plan, and this is what we have to do because this is not just about the next two months,” Girardi said of the varying degrees of rest between starts. “This is about years and years to come.”
While the Joba Rules in 2007 prevented Chamberlain from being overworked in the bullpen by doing things such as limiting back-to-back appearances, the Joba Rules 2009 is a formula to spread innings from now until the end of the season
I would guess that the Yankees have constructed their plan for the next 6 weeks while holding the possibility of playoff innings in mind. Girardi is not saying that the rules will go out the window come playoff time. Rather, the Yankees will limit his innings in the regular season while leaving some sort of cushion in the plan for the playoffs, when they need “all hands on deck.”
However, this may change how the Yankees order their rotation in the playoffs. Three weeks ago, I assumed Joba would be the 3 starter and Andy Pettitte the #4. However, with Pettitte’s resurgence and Joba’s inconsistency, I wonder if the Yankees might make Joba the 4 starter, due to both performance reasons and innings limits. This would assure that Joba gets at most 3 starts over the postseason, meaning that the most he would pitch over that time is about 20 innings. If he was the 3, he could get as many as 5 starts, which would require a much larger cushion.
What do you think? What should we expect?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees