Steve over at Was Watching brought up an interesting question. Who would you have on the postseason roster if the season ended today? He listed the 18 “obvious” players, and then completed his list with the following:
That leaves seven slots left. And, I would bet that five of those go to:
So, that leaves two spots left – with a bunch of pitchers to choose from:
Steve’s roster has 14 position players and 11 pitchers. Personally, I think the Yankees will take 12 pitchers, despite the fact that not using a 5th starter in the playoffs essentially means an extra reliever. With Hairston and Gardner on the roster, Pena seems a bit superfluous. The only possible role for him would be as a pinch runner in a game where Hairston and Gardner have both already been used. I would prefer an extra arm, especially when considering Girardi’s penchant for playing matchups.
I think Bruney is almost a lock to make the roster, while Mitre has little chance of sticking for the postseason. If Marte proves to be healthy, he will get one of the final two spots, leaving Gaudin and Melancon for the final two spots. Gaudin is death on righties and can give length, while Melancon is probably a better one inning reliever. Which 3 of the 5 relievers Steve lists would you pick?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees