Last night, Andy Pettitte pitched a gem, giving up 2 ER over 7 IP. He struck out 7 and lowered his ERA to 4.18. Amazingly, Andy Pettitte has been the best pitcher in the AL since the All-Star break. His FIP of 2.32 is the lowest of any AL pitcher over the last 30 days and his ERA of 2.61 is actually the second lowest during that period of time (King Felix sits above him with a 2.45 ERA). Andy has been an important piece of the Yankees’ playoff puzzle. Without his dominance, the rotation would look rather inconsistent (e.g., Joba, Mitre). He gave the Yankees exactly what they needed last night—a clean, crisp outing—as the bats took care of the rest, allowing for a 9-2 win. Lately, Pettitte has indicated that he would like to continue pitching after 2009 and, given Chien-Ming Wang’s absence and the way Pettitte has performed this season, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him end up with the Yankees again next year.
It wasn’t all good last night, however, as Jorge Posada and A-Rod suffered some minor injuries. Jorge left the game after aggravating an already injured left ring finger via a Nelson Cruz foul tip. He’s considered day-to-day and was removed as a precaution. Alex Rodriguez also fouled a pitch off of his left foot and exited the game, but he’s said to be alright. Neither player will miss much time, if any. A.J. Burnett is scheduled to pitch today and was probably going to work with Jose Molina anyway since he and Jorge hate each other it’s a day game after a night game.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
- Sacramento PC Repair on Yanks finally sign non-Yankee free agent in Russell Martin
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees