Here’s Ken Davidoff (Newsday) on the Yankees’ needs
Clubland rip as they approach the trade deadline:
Bullpen continues to be their greatest concern, yet Phil Hughes, Phi l Coke and Alfredo Aceves have tempered those concerns. The bet here is that they’ll pick up Villone from Washington, to give themselves a second left-handed option.
That’s right—Davidoff is referring to former Yankee Ron Villone, who he cites as someone that “won’t be phazed by a pennant race.” Villone has a nice ERA in Washington (2.78), but it’s based on a scoreless May. When you consider that he’s been terrible in June, posting a 6.52 ERA this month while walking 8 in just 9 2/3 IP, he doesn’t seem like he’ll be a very attractive pickup (he has actually been worse against lefties this year). It’s not like he was a good reliever last year either, as he was awful with the Cardinals.
Sure, Davidoff is just speculating here so there’s no need to worry about the Yankees dipping into the Nationals’ firesale, right? Well, the thing is, Girardi likes having two lefties in his bullpen and without Damaso Marte—there’s no word on when he’ll be back—I can see the Yankees acquiring another lefty (it may not be Villone, of course) before the deadline. However, I don’t think it’s at all necessary, though, especially since all of the team’s relievers outside of Phil Hughes have been dominant against lefties this year.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees