From Peter Abraham:
Red Sox owner John Henry is a smart guy. He played hedge funds to make a fortune, picked Theo Epstein to be his GM and put seats on top of the Green Monster. He just married a woman half his age.
So why was he on Twitter (John_W_Henry) posting this tonight?
“News from Yankees’ Universe. Big upsurge in membership. Apparently coming mostly from Pluto. Not doing nearly as well on Mars.”
Seriously? Your team is in first place (for now) and you’re making cracks on the Yankees for having a fan club they modeled after Red Sox Nation?
This is not the first time that Henry has used Twitter in a juvenile manner:
After the Red Sox won their eighth straight over the Yankees, Henry Tweeted, “the MT curse?” Tex responded with “There’s no reason to get into it with a 70-year-old man about baseball.” Henry turns 60 in September.
“I love playing this game,” Teixeira said. “If I have offended anybody from the time that I was 18 years old until now, I’m sorry. I don’t know what else to say. It’s a little silly. It’s actually very silly. There’s nothing else to say.”
Henry said last night the posting was harmless.
“Purely Entertainment,” Henry said in an e-mail to WEEI.com. “Nothing more. I don’t believe in curses.”
Teixeira wasn’t necessarily buying that explanation.
“You guys make the decision,” Teixeira said to the reporters around his locker. “Whose reputation looks better right now?”
Apparently Henry saw Teixeira’s pregame comments and has fired back with a new Twitter post: “Hope I didn’t hurt Mark’s feelings!” Ah, the Internet.
John Henry talks nearly as much as Hank did, and gets none of the same acrimony pointed in his direction. Quite frankly, he had to know that reporters would make a big deal about this. It was ill advised, and Henry should not be trying to dodge the consequences of his words. It is not a big deal, but he needs to learn to keep quiet.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees