With Chein Ming Wang having a setback in his rehab and due to see Dr James Andrews today, Brian Cashman and Joe Girardi said yesterday that the team is looking to add depth to their starting rotation. Brian Hoch of MLB.com has the story:
It is a situation that general manager Brian Cashman is acutely aware of as the Yankees approach the July 31 non-waiver Trade Deadline. While there are no moves that can be classified as imminent, he acknowledges that there is room for improvement.
“When we made the decisions that we’ve made so far, they were tough decisions with consequences,” Cashman said on Thursday. “We’re better because of those moves, but we’re thinner.”
Girardi goes on to add:
“I still think there is some concern with our depth,” Yankees manager Joe Girardi said. “I’m not saying that you necessarily trade for a Major League pitcher, but there is some concern if someone else goes down. There are some innings limitations on Joba, so that is something that is a concern.
Adding depth can be done in a few different ways. You can add a middle to back of the rotation MLB starter and demote Sergio Mitre. Chances are the Yanks would look for someone that’s overpaid, on a team that’s out of it and due to be a free agent at the end of the year. Looking at the 2010 Free Agent list these options aren’t overly exciting, with names like Odalis Perez, Adam Eaton and Brandon Backe in this category. Seattle is still in contention, so Eric Bedard and Jarrod Washburn would likely have to wait for a mid-August deal in which they would clear waivers. Most of the other free agents-to-be are on teams that are still in the hunt, and the Reds even said yesterday that they will be buyers, not sellers.
You could acquire a low ceiling former MLB veteran AAA starter who’s blocked on another team. Someone like Mike Hampton, Tom Glavine or Casey Fossom. Again, not all that attractive. Guys like that are blocked for a reason, and it’s usually because they don’t have much left in the tank. Or you could go ahead and make a blockbuster deal for a high end starter like Halladay or Cliff Lee, and then demote Sergio Mitre an keep him at AAA as your insurance policy. But we know those guys will cost a boatload in terms of talent.
Looking at where things currently stand, the smart move appears to be waiting to see who pops up on the waiver wire and taking it from there. But if there was another injury, right now Ivan Nova would be the most likely callup. Looking at our current options, he may be the best one.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees