Pete Abe comes through with a list of suggestions for improving the Yankees now:
More Brett Gardner: The Little G is 15 of his last 43 and has his batting average up to .284 with a .358 OBP. Melky Cabrera is 12 of 62 since his shoulder injury in Texas. He is down to .282 with a .340 OBP. Melky has more power and should play his share. But Gardner could add the energy the Yankees have lacked lately and is a superior defender.
Definitely agree with this. Brett Gardner at an OBP near .360 is a huge asset. I still like Melky and think that he should be given a shot to pull out of his slump, but Gardy should probably get 3-4 games a week subbing in for the three outfielders and Hideki Matsui.
More Dave Robertson: He has 23 strikeouts in 14.2 innings (59 in 45 career innings) and deserves more late-game, high-leverage opportunities. Joe Girardi is in love with Phil Coke and that is going to come back to bite him someday soon.
I think Joe is using Robertson properly at this point. Robertson seems to lose the plate a bit in big spots, and Joe is easing him into tighter spots. I would not rush things, and am much higher on Coke than Abraham is. Phil needs to stop walking people in one run games, but he is doing a nice job when used in one inning stints.
Release Angel Berroa: Is this guy actually going to play once a week when A-Rod rests? Ramiro Pena is not much of an offensive player, but he can play defense and add a little small ball from the No. 9 spot.
Call up Shelley Duncan or John Rodriguez: Shelley is at .294/.369/.628 for Scranton. J-Rod is at .292/.377/.521. Wouldn’t they be more helpful than Berroa? How could they not be, especially in National League parks over the next six games?
With Alex getting regular days off from here on out, the Yankees need the extra infielder at least for this period where they are playing in NL Stadiums. When Xavier Nady returns, this should become moot.
Release Brett Tomko/Call up somebody else: Mark Melancon, Anthony Claggett, Zack Kroenke, there has to be somebody in Scranton who would be better. As Tomko himself said yesterday, everything he’s throwing is getting hit lately.
I cannot get too worked up over the last guy in the pen. Melancon has struggled a bit since returning to the minors, and I am not so sure those other guys will be better than Tomko. I guess I could see them fast-tracking Mike Dunn to the majors.
Move Swisher up: Yes, Nick Swisher is an adventure in the outfield, but his 132 OPS+ is second on the team to Mark Teixeira. It’s a waste to bat him seventh or eighth, which he has 20 times. Second or sixth would be better.
I would move Swisher to 6th, with Posada hitting 5th, and Cano 7th. A guy who is better than most on the team at reaching base should be in the top 6.
More Phil Hughes: If they’re going to use him in the bullpen, then use him in the bullpen. Let him pitch when it’s 2-1 in the eighth inning, not when they’re down by a few runs. If he is not going to be used in vital situations, he might as well be starting in Scranton.
Totally agree. Either use him in the bullpen full time, or send him down. His current usage pattern will stunt his development and make it difficult to count him in as a member of the rotation next season.
Do you have any suggestions?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees