Time for a bit of speculative fun.
From Phil Rogers (Chicago Tribune):
Teams looking to add pitching in midseason trades could be disappointed. There’s not a lot on the market, which could play to the White Sox’s advantage if they decide to deal Jose Contreras. They have a decision to make on Bobby Jenks — try to sign him to a long-term contract or listen to offers. They could get a lot if they moved him, with teams such as the Angels, Yankees, Rangers, Cardinals, Phillies, Mets and Brewers looking to beef up their bullpens.
Jenks would be an interesting acquisition for the Yankees. He’s a good closer, despite his many inconsistencies. While his HR rate is up this year (1.6 HR/9 compared to 0.4 last year), his strikeout rate—K/9 of 9.0—has climbed considerably after falling each season since his debut season in 2005 (last year, his rate was a lowly 5.5). He has a 3.21 ERA, a 1.07 WHIP and has 18 saves in 28 IP (28 K, 6 BB, 5 HR). He would not be a free agent until after 2011, I believe.
Maybe the Yankees can figure out what they have with either Gardner or Melky and move one of them in a deal for Jenks (they basically have no CF)? I’m sure John Rodriguez can be an adequate extra outfielder for the team if such a deal is made (he’s a lefty and is hitting .283/.368/.505 in AAA with 12 homers). The Sox can fill the Jenksian void in their ‘pen with Octavio Dotel or even Mike Thornton, perhaps.
Jenks might be overkill in terms of relief help, sure, but I figure, if you’re going to trade for a bullpen arm, you might as well make sure the guy you get is going to be effective and that’s all Jenks has been since he arrived on the scene. In addition, he’s a durable reliever, which is always a plus.
What do you think?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees