A few interesting stories worthy of debate and discussion today:
- The noble fangraphs dissects a few of Mariano’s crucial statistics from this year. The good news is that his K/9 and bb/9 is the same or better than he’s ever been. The bad news is that his homers and swings & misses are way out of whack. Fangraphs is concerned, I’m not. Mo is a freak of nature and everything (outside of his bad outing last week) so far this year can be attributed to an early season dead arm period. Basically, I’m sticking with Mo until there’s overwhelming evidence that he’s lost it. The guy is pure gold.
- As the defense goes, so go the Yankees? The errorless record coincided remarkably well with the Yankees huge winning streak. Now the Yanks have committed E’s in 10 of the last 13, with their record in those games a paltry 7-6. In good defensive news, however, like a fine wine, Derek Jeter’s defense seems to be getting better and better, as reported by Fox Sports’ John Paul Morosi. Jeter’s actually a +2 run value in the field this year. At a time when shortstops’ ranges should be declining, Jeter’s is somehow improving. Is it time for the blogosphere to take notice and stop mocking DJ’s d or is it still just a sample size issue?
- Some draft evaluation by long-time minor league expert, John Sickels is available, here. Sickels is nervous about the Yanks’ top two selections, but he likes some later picks like Sean Black, D’Angelo Mack, and Luke Merton. In fact, he likes Mack and Merton so much that he picked them up for his own shadow team in a mock draft.
All in all, some pretty interesting and discussable items today. I thought the Jeter and Rivera stories were particularly cool. How these guys age is pretty crucial to the future success of the Yankees. How long can Jeter stay at short? Should we re-sign him past his current deal for big money? How long can Rivera defy Father Time? Should the Yanks pick up a back up closer this off-season?
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees