From Sweeny Murti:
*Chien-Ming Wang does not have a win this year, has a double-digit ERA, and lost his spot in the rotation to a pitcher who didn’t win a big-league game last year.
*Mariano Rivera has already given up as many home runs this year as he has in any of the previous 13 seasons.
*Both of the primary setup men for Rivera, Brian Bruney and Damaso Marte are on the disabled list…and no one has established himself as the clear replacement, even temporarily.
*Mark Teixeira was still hitting under .200 in the second week of May.
*Alex Rodriguez missed the first month of the season and his replacements hit 0 home runs while he was out.
A Good Man Is Hard to Find release *Brett Gardner began the season as the starting centerfielder and didn’t make it out of April before being sent to the bench. He was replaced by Melky Cabrera, who was so bad last year he had to be sent back to the minors.
*Jorge Posada and Jose Molina both went on the DL at the same time and the Yankees had to call up a catcher who was hitting .190 at Double-A.
*Xavier Nady didn’t make it out of the first road trip of the season before going on the DL. He still hasn’t played a game at new Yankee Stadium.
*Nick Swisher, who has played every day because of the injury to Nady, has just 1 home run at new Yankee Stadium, otherwise known as the New Coors Field.
*A.J. Burnett did not win a game at home in April. Or May.
*The Yankees are 0-5 against Boston.
*On May 14, the Yankees were under .500. There was speculation that Joe Girardi might be fired soon.
And today the Yankees are in first place.
Don’t worry. There are still four more months of this season to complain about.
Riveraveblues.com does a fan confidence poll each week that runs on a 1-10 scale, and I voted 10 for the first time this week. Plenty of things have gone wrong this season, yet this team has shown a resiliency that most recent iterations of the Yankees were lacking. They are in first place due to their remarkable ability to come back, and even their losses are marked by the closeness of the score and rallies that come up just short. Barring a major injury, the Yankees will most certainly be in the mix for a playoff spot when September rolls around. With all that has happened thus far this season, it is a tribute to the players and management alike that the team is where it is.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees