[image title="tanner_scheppers2-thumb-480x7201" size="full" id="4073" align="right" ]Draft season is almost here. Unfortunately, I won’t be near an internet connection for all of next week. Luckily, Eric knows his draft stuff much better than I do. He has some cool things planned. Stay tuned.
Keith Law’s newest mock draft has Tanner Scheppers falling out of the 1st round, only weeks after speculation had him as high as 2nd overall. Scheppers is a Fresno alumni who was drafted by the Pirates with the 48th overall pick in 2008, but did not sign. He opted to pitch in the independent leagues. He had only been converted to pitching as a freshman for Fresno, and only put all the pitching pieces together as a junior. He threw 93-95 with a nasty slider in college. Now in independent ball, he is topping out at 98 mph.
I always thought that Scheppers was a major overreach with a high first round pick. He is much more inexperienced than most big program college pitchers. He hasn’t shown much control and is still working on a third pitch. But what about the Yankees, at #29 overall? He would be a high-ceiling, not entirely risky pick. He also has little leverage as a post-college independent leaguer, and therefore would come relatively cheap. The Yankees are picking with Gerrit Cole’s compensation pick from last year, so they must sign their first round pick or lose the slot entirely. Additional leverage is important.
I’m not crazy about Scheppers. I wouldn’t be unhappy with the pick if it were made, but he seems a bit risky to me.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees