For someone who keeps track of the minors as much as I do, the draft represents one of the most interesting events to watch. It is probably the most important way for major league teams to restock their farm systems. For those who don’t think the draft is important to a big-market team like the Yankees, consider how many current Yankees were drafted and signed by the Yankees. This list includes Derek Jeter, Jorge Posada, Andy Pettitte, Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain, with future contributors such as Austin Jackson, Zach McAllister, Ian Kennedy, and Mark Melancon also arriving via the draft. Even a team with deep pockets like the Yankees needs to draft well, because by having cheap cost-controlled players, they can fill holes internally and have the money to shell out for big-ticket free agents such as Mark Teixeira, AJ Burnett, and CC Sabathia.
Before looking ahead to 2009, I am going to list a few of the important picks from previous drafts that the Yankees have made in the last 5 years, since the organization has become more committed to the draft. The guys I will mention are players who are still with the organization and have been ranked as legitimate prospects (by yours truly).
2004: Phil Hughes (1st), Chris Garcia (3rd)
2005: Brett Gardner (3rd), Alan Horne (11th), Austin Jackson (8th)
2006: Ian Kennedy (1st), Joba Chamberlain (sandwich), Zach McAllister (3rd), George Kontos (5th), Dellin Betances (8th), Mark Melancon (9th), Dave Robertson (17th)
2007: Andrew Brackman (1st), Austin Romine (2nd), Brad Suttle (4th), Carmen Angelini (10th), Brandon Laird (27th)
2008: Jeremy Bleich (2nd), David Adams (3rd), Corban Joseph (4th), Brett Marshall (6th), Kyle Higashioka (7th), DJ Mitchell (10th), Pat Venditte (20th), Garrison Lassiter (27th).
From these drafts, 2006 was clearly the best, and while I have listed a bunch of guys from 2007 and 2008 as prospects, they haven’t had time to bust yet. The ’08 draft was highlighted by the Yankees’ inability to sign 1st-rounder Gerrit Cole and 2nd rounder Scott Bittle (though he currently has a shoulder injury, so that looks like a smart move).
From the Yankee drafts to date, one theme that sticks out is their willingness to pay over the slot amount for players who are more talented than their draft slot (such as Brett Marshall, Dellin Betances, etc), and also to take a chance on players with questionable medicals (Joba Chamberlain, Andrew Brackman). We’re likely to see more of the same from them.
Tomorrow (hopefully), I will go over some possible draftees or prospects who have caught my eye. I’ll try to predict a few guys who they could take with their first-round pick, as well as maybe some later-round guys that are intriguing for whatever reason.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees