From The Daily News:
Xavier Nady took batting practice for the first time in more than a month, testing his injured right elbow harder than he has since he went on the disabled list on April 16.
Nady took five rounds of BP, swinging between five and eight times per round. He will likely head to Tampa at the end of the home stand, where he hopes to begin playing in rehab games as a designated hitter next week.
“It felt good,” Nady said. “I was more hesitant the first couple of swings, but I was swinging the bat good. I’ll do this for a couple days, and hopefully by Friday, Saturday and Sunday, I’ll be letting it loose out there.”
Joe Girardi said Nady’s return was “getting closer,” but it’s still unclear when the outfielder will try testing his arm by throwing. Nady said the initial rehab plan was for him to begin throwing two weeks after he started hitting, so it’s likely that he will initially return as a hitter and not a fielder.
If Nady cannot play the field right away, he will probably be used as a bench bat and to spell Hideki Matsui at DH against tough lefties. With Nick Swisher struggling, Nady would be a welcome addition to the bench, allowing the Yankees to play matchups in the late innings as well as motivating Swish to play for his job. I assume that he would replace Angel Berroa on the roster, and the Yankees would return to the 5 outfielder+Matsui configuration that they started the season with.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees