Not sure if anyone heard this, but 1050 ESPN radio’s Andrew Marchand had some interesting stuff on Chien Ming Wang today. Here’s the podcast:
He said that the Yanks told Wang NOT to exercise his legs as usual this off season, due to the Lisfranc fracture. Makes sense, they don’t have much experience with the injury (no one in Baseball does) and he did injure his foot by simply running the bases. Also, both Wang and Bruney elected not to have surgery, as the recuperation time was longer if they did. So as a result, when Wang came into camp this spring, he had pretty much done nothing with his legs in the off season. I’m sure they figured he would have enough time to get into shape when Pitchers and Catchers reported on Febuary 13th.
Now Cashman views that as a mistake, he clearly wasn’t strong enough to start the season and the lack of work goes a long way to explaining his lack of velocity and stuff this year. Live and learn, I suppose. Cashman also speculated that the Brian Bruney elbow injury might have been a result of him changing his delivery somewhat, and therefore injuring his arm.
I don’t blame the Yanks much here. Its not like there was a roadmap for these situations that they didn’t follow. They took what they thought was the most conservative course of action to protect the player and it simply didn’t work in either case. But this also makes me think he should be able to return to form at some point this year, which was something I had serious doubts about before.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
- Evon Znidarsic on Teixeira MRI Update, Babe Ruth Pitching In Pinstripes, And Jeter’s Gift Baskets
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees