Xavier Nady had a “sharp pain” in his right elbow in the seventh inning and was taken out of the game.
He previously had elbow surgery.
UPDATE, 10:58 p.m.: Nady had Tommy John surgery on Sept. 29, 2001. He was injured tonight in the seventh inning when Carlos Pena singled and he threw the ball back to the infield.
“I’m definitely kind of nervous,” Nady said. “But I have to be optimistic. Hopefully it’s scar tissue breaking off. … It was very painful.”
If Nady is injured, the Yankees have a ready replacement in Superman Nick Swisher. But this greatly cuts down on their depth. Now you have to use Hideki Matsui and it’s harder to give Jorge Posada a day off and so on.
There are several options in AAA starting with Shelley Duncan and John Rodriguez. I would be shocked if they promoted Austin Jackson to be a bench player. He needs to play every day at this stage of his career.
Nady will have an MRI tomorrow morning and we should know more by the early afternoon. But it certainly sounds like bad news. For X’s sake, hopefully not.
I don’t see why the Yankees need to call up an outfielder if Nady heads to the disabled list. Melky Cabrera is on the roster already. John Rodriguez is an intriguing option considering how well he hit at the major league level, but I think that the Yankees should consider adding another bat to the infield. Cody Ransom is obviously a liability, and Ramiro Pena is a defensive replacement at best. How about Kevin Russo? He’s tearing the cover off the ball at Triple-A right now, and can play 2nd, 3rd, and left field. If we simply want a pinch hitter, Juan Miranda could be useful.
Thank God for Nick Swisher.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees