On Friday, Mike Axisa at RAB posted the following about Derek Jeter:
Let’s face it folks, the Captain is at the point in his career where he’s gradually making his way over to the glue factory. Check it out:
2006 2007 2008
OBP .417 .388 .363
SLG .483 .452 .408
IsoP .140 .130 .107
BABIP .394 .368 .336
wOBP .399 .369 .343
LD% 22.3 19.9 17.9
O-S% 18.5 21.9 23.7
(O-S% is the percentage of pitches out of the zone that Jeter’s swung at, which comes courtesy of Fangraphs)
For a soon to be 35-year old shortstop, that’s a troubling trend. We know that Jeter is no great shakes defensively (heck, he’s not even average shakes in that department), but if his offense continues to go south … then where is his value?
Sorry about the formatting, I could not figure it out.
There is one important point that needs to be made here. 2006 was one of Derek Jeter’s best seasons, and was out of line with the seasons surrounding it. The data Mike posts is therefore a bit misleading. Jeter’s 2007 numbers are actually right in line with 2001-2005. When looked at in this broader context, he has had one season of decline, during which he really only had one terrible month following an injury skew his numbers. RLYW looked at the splits and found that his numbers would look somewhat better if that month was taken out, although they would still represent a decline.
The point is that one bad season does not a trend make. Is it possible that Derek is on the downslope of his career? Certainly. However, at this point, we do not have enough evidence to support that notion. Let’s see how 2009 before we decide that he is finished.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees