Darren Rovell from CNBC has a new column up, refuting a recent AP report about Baseball attendance being down. His points about comparing apples to apples (or in this case Aprils to Aprils) and reduced capacity at Citifield are good ones, and I don’t really take issue with anything he wrote.
What I found most interesting that could have implications for the Yankees was this:
Steepest Attendance Declines
TEAM % CHANGE Washington Nationals Down 30.4% Detroit Tigers Down 28.2% New York Mets Down 23.4%* Toronto Blue Jays Down 23.4% Atlanta Braves Down 18.9%
*New stadium, % capacity is actually up
To paraphrase the head of GM, sales drops that big are “unsustainable for any business”. You can’t lose a quarter of your revenues and not be forced into making dramatic cost cutting moves. Of the teams that are on the list, the Blue Jays and Tigers are the most interesting. Unless they find themselves in a heated pennant race that draws fans interest, expect both to be sellers at the mid season trade deadline. Roy Halladay and Magglio Ordonez would provide the most return and salary relief in both cases. Atlanta could be sellers as well, with Tim Hudson as a likely candidate.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees