This from Pete Abe, here.
BREAKING NEWS UPDATE, 12:55 p.m.: Nothing official yet, but the word is that Xavier Nady will need surgery and miss the season.
UPDATE, 1:47 p.m.: We just spoke to Nady. He didn’t want to say too much until he sees the team doctor in NYC tomorrow. But he indicated that the MRI showed a tear and surgery will be needed.
Ugh… what do you guys think this means for the Yankees outfield? What are the ramifications? Doesn’t Cashman look like a genius for not trading Swisher?
Here are the big options I can think of. Pick the one you like best, or come up with one of your own:
- Yankees stay the course: Move Swisher into right, and plunk Melky into the 4th outfielder role, DH Matsui on most days (Posada on the others) and bring up a random depth bat (Miranda, Shelley, Berroa or a 3rd catcher) or even an extra pitcher (long man: Aceves or Tomko, short: Melancon or Robertson). They should be fine this way. Yes, Melky obviously doesn’t hit like Nady, but he’s a perfect 4th OF who can legitimately play all 3 spots. The only big question is if Matsui can still hit and if he and Damon can stay healthy playing every day.
- Pick up a free agent bat: There are several of these still out there, surprisingly enough. See Moshe’s article, here, for the list. Mike Lamb, Wily Mo Pena, Geoff Jenkins, and Jim Edmonds are all guys who could potentially come close to replicating Nady’s production.
- Bring up Ajax, who is currently destroying AAA pitching: Yes, he’s going .480, .548, .560 so far, but it’s very early, and I want this kid playing every day. Eventually, he’ll run into a snag at AAA and have to make those important adjustments. I’d love to see him get a full, comfortable year in AAA, even if he’s mashing. It’s good for his confidence and his development.
Update, 3pm: RAB reports that both Russo and Ajax have been yanked from their AAA game, though Ajax was hit by a pitch earlier in the game.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees