From the NY Post:
Andy Pettitte says with Alex Rodriguez absent for the start of this season, the pressure to perform falls to the Yankees starting pitchers.
“I feel like this team is going to win if we pitch well, whether Alex is here or not, to tell you the truth,” the left-hander said. “Everybody’s lineup is so good. It’s tough to pitch in this division. I think we’re going to win because, hopefully, we outpitch the other people.
“We were banged up last year at the beginning of the season. So we need to find a way to get it done,” Pettitte said. “Hopefully, we can get everybody going as far as the rotation and we pitch well.
“We know Alex is going to drive in a lot of runs, but that production might not be there. We’ll just have to pitch a little bit better.”
Andy is right on target with these comments. No matter what comes from the offense, the success or failure of the 2009 Yankees will be predicated on the pitching. If they can keep all five guys healthy and effective, they should have the deepest staff in baseball, with a decent chance to win every night. Once October rolls around, Yankees fans and the media will see that the reason for the failures of the last few years had nothing to do with A-Rod, but rather with a dependence on offense due to pitching issues. As Joe Torre likes to say, pitching wins championships, and the Yankees have an abundance of it.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees