The Yankees reassigned 6 players to minor league camp this morning, with Mark Melancon, Ian Kennedy, Jesus Montero, Christian Garcia, Kevin Russo, and Kyle Anson all getting the ax. It seems that Melancon never really had a shot to make the team, as his first poor outing has him on his way back to the minors. Being that he only has one healthy professional season under his belt, it does make sense for the Yankees to keep him in AAA for a bit more seasoning. Expect to see him again at some point over the summer.
Kennedy looked solid in his few appearances, and I would think that Yankees brass is encouraged by the more aggressive pitching style that Ian has shown this spring. I could see him building his stock up to the point where he becomes the centerpiece of a deadline deal. Garcia, Russo, and Anson never really had a shot to make the club, and all three struggled mightily in their brief opportunities to make an impression.
Finally, Montero went 6-9 with a double, a homer, two walks, and just two strikeouts. He looks to be an exciting prospect with the stick in his hand, although he does need some work behind the plate. The Yankees will be hard pressed to keep him from rocketing through the system, but may need to hold him back to develop his defense. He holds significantly more value to the club as a catcher than as a first baseman, left fielder, or DH, and the organization needs to treat him accordingly. I bet we see some of him late in 2010, and have him on the club coming out of spring training in 2011.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Christina on Game Thread: Angels versus Yankees, Saturday July 14th
- walkfit platinum reviews on The TYA staff on the Yankees’ television and radio broadcast teams
- essentialtexting.com on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- www25.tok2.com on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- グッチ 財布 on Sunday Links-Joba’s Timetable, Comparing eras, Pineda
- raspberry ketone diet 1200 on Sabermetrics Doesn’t Have A Monopoly on Not-Stupid: Mike Trout is the AL MVP
- Free riot codes on Off-Topic
- Fran on The Great Subway Race
- sleeping bag hand Orientation on What about Austin Romine?
- camping stove heat diffuser on What about Austin Romine?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees