For many years, I thought the idea that Red Sox fans were just as concerned with the Yankees suffering as they were with the Red Sox succeeding was a ridiculous canard put forth by egotistical Yankees fans to tweak Bostonians. Then I moved to Boston, and have witnessed first hand that the phenomenon is in fact real. This city is obsessed with the Yankees, and winning two world championships has not had a tangible effect in altering those emotions.
This point came into focus for me this morning, as I listened to Curt Schilling being interviewed on WEEI. Schilling was on the air for about half an hour, and spent the first 5 minutes discussing himself and his prospects for the future, and the last 5 minutes talking about Manny Ramirez. He spent the middle 20 minutes talking about the Yankees, most notably about Alex Rodriguez’s injury and Joe Torre’s book. That means that 2/3 of a conversation with a Red Sox icon on a Boston radio station was spent talking about the enemy. This is not an anomaly, as anyone who listens to WEEI can tell you that 20 minutes of baseball talk does not pass without a mention of the Yankees, something you could not say about WFAN and the Red Sox. The obsession is real, and it is never going to go away.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees