I missed this pretty blunt quote from Brian Cashman a few days ago, courtesy of Rob Neyer:
“A.J. led the American League in strikeouts,” Cashman said. “There’s a lot of reasons why his power and his stuff — if he can maintain health — really are a benefit.
“We are a bad defensive team, so a guy that prevents the ball from being put into play is a good thing for us.”
Oh, and you have to appreciate Cashman’s honesty here. When’s the last time you heard the general manager of a good team admit that his team was bad at something? At best, they’ll usually soft-peddle the criticism, say something like, “We don’t have a great defense.”
Last season, the Yankees were 25th in the majors in defensive efficiency — that is, turning batted balls into outs — and they don’t figure to be much better this season. But with Sabathia and Burnett and Joba Chamberlain in the rotation, it really shouldn’t matter a great deal.
I think that Neyer is understating the improvements that the Yankees have made defensively this offseason. Replacing the statuesque Giambi at first and the awful Abreu in right, coupled with Brett Gardner filling in for Melky Cabrera in at least some of the games, should put the Yankees squarely in the middle of the defensive pack. Combine that with the improved starting pitching, and the Yankees should be significantly better at run prevention than they were in 2008.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees