From the Bradenton Herald:
A new uniform results in new opportunities for guys such as Karstens and Ohlendorf — unlike the pitchers’ previous employer, Pittsburgh is unlikely to throw truckloads of money to free-agent pitchers such as CC Sabathia and A.J. Burnett.
“It’s two different organizations — one’s going in a route to buy it, one’s going in a route to develop from within,” Karstens said. “I’m happy to be here.”
Karstens was a good guy to have around, but he’ll obviously have better opportunities to show what he can do (it’s not much) with the pitching starved Pirates. In fact, he and Ross Ohlendorf could possibly make the rotation if they perform well this spring.
When you think about the Nady-Marte trade, those guys were basically throw-away players. However, I’m wondering, what will happen if Nady ends up being overthrown by Nick Swisher? Jose Tabata was also part of that trade (along with Daniel McCutchen) and if he becomes a superstar in Pittsburgh while Nady ends up injured, ineffective, or in a platoon, that could look like a bad move by Brian Cashman. I guess hindsight is 20/20, though and, at the time, that trade was being heralded as a steal (plus, we needed a bat).
I guess only time will tell…
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
- Louis Vuitton Outlet San Diego on Banuelos to Undergo Tommy John Surgery, Yankees Prospectors to Undergo Grief Counseling
- related web site on The Great Subway Race
- get your lover back on Contact Us
- Dorothy Silvan on Pineda’s Torn Labrum, or Does the lemon law apply to baseball?
- tao of badass on Open Thread | Game 3 | Detroit Tigers vs. New York Yankees | Sunday, April 3, 2011
- tube launch review on Why Has Attendance Fallen Year-To-Year?
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees