There might be obstacles to getting good value in return for Giles. For one, Giles’ consent is needed for a trade to any of the other 29 clubs. A trade also would raise Giles’ salary to $11 million, via an assignment bonus, lowering the player’s value.
When asked Tuesday if he had any potential trade destinations in mind, Giles mentioned the Red Sox, Yankees and Angels.
Giles is a very good player, albeit one with a lot of miles on his leg. Bill James projects him to go .280/.387/.435 in 2009. However, the Yankees do not seem like a fit for a variety of reasons. Most obviously, the Yankees have too many outfielders as they stand now. They could trade Swisher or Nady to make room for Giles. If this was the plan, however, they likely would have brought in one of the outfielders available on the free agent market for a similar price to Giles without having to surrender prospects. Furthermore, Giles is dealing with some serious legal issues, and the last thing the Yankees need is another distraction.
This is not likely to happen, although an injury or two could certainly alter the situation. If I had to guess, Giles will probably end up in Boston. They attempted to trade for him last season, and he vetoed the deal due to playing time concerns. With JD Drew already complaining about his back, CoCo Crisp in KC, and Rocco Baldelli’s uncertain health, Giles is most likely to satisfy his wish to play everyday for a contender with Boston.
LIKE TYA ON FACEBOOK
- TYA To Merge With It’s About The Money, Stupid
- What about Kevin Youkilis?
- Teix Now Front And Center On The “Needs To Produce” Radar
- Cashman: Heathcott A Dark Horse Candidate
- A Dog Chasing Cars
- Outfield Trade Targets
- The Problem With Brett Gardner
- A Look At Relief Prospect Branden Pinder
- The Yankees Should Be Realistic, Put Team on Short Leash in 2013
- Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- many dresses are especially for wedding or for other events2 on Chuck Johnson on Chase Whitley
- Brand bc on Briefly discussing the internal options to replace Curtis Granderson
- http://2804lasela.wordpress.com/ on TYA Predictions: Bold predictions for 2012
- the tao of badass pdf on What about Austin Romine?
- Joey Parkhill on Dante Bichette Jr’s Swing
- lululemon factory outlet on Contact Us
- Cary on Will R.A. Dickey’s Knuckleball Succeed In A Domed Stadium?
- Brenna on Links: Prospects, Support for A-Rod, Mariano is Love and Who’s in Center?
- Louis Vuitton Outlet Sale Singapore on The Monthly Prospector: April Edition
- Authentic Louis Vuitton Outlet Store on The Monthly Prospector: June Edition
TagsA.J. Burnett Alex Rodriguez Andy Pettitte Austin Romine Baltimore Orioles Bartolo Colon Boston Red Sox Brett Gardner Brian Cashman Bullpen CC Sabathia Chien-Ming Wang Cliff Lee Curtis Granderson David Robertson Dellin Betances Derek Jeter Francisco Cervelli Freddy Garcia Game Recap Hiroki Kuroda Ivan Nova Javier Vazquez Jesus Montero Joba Chamberlain Joe Girardi Johnny Damon Jorge Posada Manny Banuelos Mariano Rivera Mark Teixeira Melky Cabrera Michael Pineda New York New York Yankees Nick Johnson Nick Swisher Phil Hughes Prospects Rafael Soriano Red Sox Robinson Cano Russell Martin Tampa Bay Rays Yankees